Military Academy Nominations
Military Academy Nominations
As a member of Congress, Rep. Greg Stanton has the privilege of nominating some of Arizona’s most talented people for appointment to the four service academies that require nominations: the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy and the U.S. Military Academy (West Point). The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
The Office of Congressman Greg Stanton is now accepting nomination applications for the Class of 2025. The deadline to submit applications is 5 p.m. on October 30, 2020. Please note this is NOT a postmark deadline, all application materials must arrive at the Phoenix office by 5 p.m. on October 30, 2020. Please note that interviews will be conducted on November 14, 2020 and you must be available on that date.
Each applicant must meet basic eligibility requirements set by the academies:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and legal resident of Arizona;
- Must be unmarried;
- Must not be pregnant and have no legal obligation to provide financial support for children or other dependents;
- Must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed their 23rd birthday (25th birthday for the Merchant Marine Academy);
- Must be qualified to commit to a minimum of five years of active duty service upon graduation from an Academy.
In addition, the applicant must be a resident of Arizona's ninth district.
- A personal statement between 500-750 words answering why you are committed to attending a service academy;
- A Resume, which must include a phone number and e-mail address;
- Three letters of recommendation from people who can speak to your character and achievements;
- An official transcript from all high schools, junior colleges, or universities you have attended;
- An official copy of your SAT and/or ACT score;
- Current wallet size (2”x3”) photo.
Once you turn in these documents that will complete your application, our office does not require you to complete an online form.
How to send documents:
Applications can be mailed to Congressman Stanton’s office or e-mailed to AZ09ServiceAcademies@mail.house.gov. If you are mailing or hand-delivering the documents, all documents must be placed in one sealed envelope and arrive in our office by 5 p.m. on October 30, 2020.
Office of Congressman Greg Stanton
c/o Larry Sandigo
2944 N. 44th St., Ste. 150
Phoenix, AZ 85018
If you are submitting documents electronically, please send one PDF with all documents to AZ09ServiceAcademies@mail.house.gov. The submission must be received by 5 p.m. on October 30, 2020.
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview on November 14, 2020. You must be available on that date to interview.
If you have questions about the nomination process, please e-mail AZ09ServiceAcademies@mail.house.gov or call our office at 602-956-2285.
Note: In addition to submitting a packet to our office, it is your responsibility to complete and submit an application to the academy or academies by their listed deadline. This is a distinct process from receiving a nomination from our office.
For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
For general inquiries regarding an academy’s process, you may contact the academies:
Army: 1-800-822-ARMY, http://admissions.usma.edu
Navy: 1-888-249-7707, http://www.usna.edu/admissions
Air Force: 1-719-333-2520, http://academyadmissions.com
Merchant Marines: 1-800-732-6267, www.usmma.edu/admissions
The U.S. Coast Guard Academy no longer requires a Congressional nomination for appointment. Applications must therefore be made directly to the Academy.
Securing a nomination from our office does not guarantee an appointment (i.e. offer of admission). It is at the ultimate discretion of each respective Academy to make the final decision. You are encouraged to apply for as many nominations as you may be eligible. As a matter of courtesy, we ask that you inform our office if you are also seeking a nomination from a Senator's office.