As Arizona and local governments work to get emergency rental assistance to families in our community that struggle to pay rent, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention yesterday extended its eviction moratorium through October 3, 2021 to help families stay in their homes.

What to know about the eviction moratorium extension

The CDC’s order prevents tenants from being kicked out of their homes when the sole reason is inability to pay. A tenant seeking protection under the order must present a sworn statement, called a declaration, to their landlord. All adults listed on the lease or rental agreement should complete the declaration.

You can download the Eviction Protection Declaration form here (The CDC has yet to update this form, but you can find an older, archived version of it here).

Descargue el formulario de Declaración para protección contra desalojos aquí. (El CDC aún tiene que actualizar este formulario, pero puede encontrar una versión archivada aquí.)

Tenants covered under this protection must meet these conditions:

  • The individual has used best efforts to obtain all available governmental assistance for rent or housing;
  • The individual either (i) earned no more than $99,000 (or $198,000 if filing jointly) in Calendar Year 2020 or expects to earn no more than $99,000 in annual income for Calendar Year 2021 (or no more than $198,000 if filing a joint tax return), (ii) was not required to report any income in 2020 to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, or (iii) received an Economic Impact Payment (stimulus check).
  • The individual is unable to pay the full rent or make a full housing payment due to substantial loss of household income, loss of compensable hours of work or wages, a lay- off, or extraordinary8 out-of-pocket medical expenses; 
  • The individual is using best efforts to make timely partial rent payments that are as close to the full rent payment as the individual's circumstances may permit, taking into account other nondiscretionary expenses; 

  • Eviction would likely render the individual homeless—or force the individual to move into and reside in close quarters in a new congregate or shared living setting— because the individual has no other available housing options; and 

  • The individual resides in a U.S. county experiencing substantial9 or high10 rates of community transmission levels of SARS-CoV-2 as defined by CDC. 

According to the order, if you filed a declaration under a prior CDC eviction moratoria issued on September 4, 2020, January 29, 2021, March 28, 2021, or June 24, 2021 you may be eligible for protection under this order do not need to file a new declaration.

Although the CDC’s order does not require you to provide any proof with the declaration, landlords may challenge your statements. The National Low Income Housing Coalition and National Housing Law Project recommend renters keep documents on hand in case a court allows your landlord to challenge the declaration. 

Where to find housing assistance

My office has compiled a comprehensive guide (en Español) of resources for families struggling to pay their mortgage, rent, or utilities. If you live in Chandler, Mesa, Phoenix, Scottsdale or most parts of Maricopa County and need assistance, you can apply for aid through programs that have recently reopened thanks to new federal funding.

If you're a veteran, you can apply for a COVID-19 Refund Modification through the Department of Veterans Affairs now through October 28, 2022 to get a reduced monthly mortgage payment. Find other VA home loan options here.

If someone you know needs these services but lives outside of our district, they can visit AZEvictionHelp for a thorough statewide directory of housing resources and legal aid. Click here to see if you qualify for protection under this eviction moratorium.

If you are evicted or expect to be evicted, there is still help available for you. Find a directory of state agency and government programs through Arizona Together or the Arizona Crisis Response Network’s 2-1-1 hotline and rapid rehousing, shelter services and food assistance through the Arizona Department of Economic Security.

We are here to help—don’t hesitate to reach out to my office with questions, either by calling (602) 956-2463 or opening a case with us online. You may also consider reaching out to Community Legal Services or the Southwest Fair Housing Council.